[K12OSN] Doing the Pivot Root - befuddling

Tom Ventresco aust_txv at access-k12.org
Fri Aug 26 17:45:54 UTC 2005

> A good guy to call is Mark Wilhelm.  He might be able to assist you.
>
> As it happens, I too have a SGR24, and I use the C1110 NIC (64-bit PCI
> version).  My other K12LTSP server (I've got two demo boxes that I use)
> uses the Broadcom built-in Gig-E port.  I haven't tried out the new
> K12LTSP 4.4, but I have tried out K12LTSP 4.2.1 on both of them, and it
> works just great.  Same with K12LTSP 3.1.2; it works fine with the
> SGR24.  Have you tried it out with any version previous to 4.4?
>
> BTW, if you're looking at a switch to support lots of users, I have also
> used the SR48G2i with very good results.

Good stuff TP - I see an SR48G2i in my near future...my racks are packed
with 24 port switches.

Yes I did try a k12LTSP 4.2 with a the same x206 and it gave the
pivot_root nfs issue.  BUT a 4.2 or 4.4 on an IBM x205 with the (onboard
Broadcom).  Basically the x206 with the onboard Intel ethernet, amer.com
c1110-32, or an SMC 9462TX gave me the same nfs issue / root_pivot.  The
thing is I have other amer.com gig switches like the GD8 ( an 8 port gig
switch ) works like a charm on 4.2 and 4.4 on the x206.  I have swapped
eth0 and eth1 and their functions, zip.  The problem is something in the
x206 and certain switches.
The onboard chip on the x206 is an Intel ( unsure of the chip set.)

Thanks,
Tom V.