[K12OSN] mac OS X and win2003 and LTSP integration

Joe Guenther jguenther at chinooksedge.ab.ca
Sat Aug 27 04:11:24 UTC 2005

I have a problem ... yes we only ask when we have problems it seems.

I have a school that currently has a Macintosh OS X server as the
student file server (Samba) and Mac netboot.  It also authenticates mac
iBook, etc via Open Directory.  Now the school has been forced to make
big changes ... the former tech has left, the school is half ready for
the start of school and a new Windows 2003 server is being brought it to
replace the Mac OS X server.  At any rate I have been asked to integrate
a new LTSP lab into the whole scheme of things.

The problem being - currently DHCP is being served by the Mac OS X
server. If we turn that off half our school users on Macs cannot login
to the Open Directory.  DHCP also seems to serve certain LDAP parameters
to the mac clients.  IF the mac serves DHCP, the LTSP terminals will not
boot!!  problem ...

is there a solution to tweak the Mac OS X server to serve the
appropriate bits of info to the LTSP clients? The GUI leaves very few
DHCP server options ... where is there/is there a test conf file to
tweak or hack?

is there a way of serving the mac tidbits from the Linux server?

It seems we have to have the mac server around long enough to get the
mac authentication working on Win2003 server, so until then the two have
to co-exist _peacefully_ in the same rack.

can anyone help point me in the right direction?  I am currently as I
write this working on the LTSP authentication to Active Directory.  I am
running 4.2.1EL and following the instructions from
http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/09/2318244  I assume
that the NSS_LDAP package is already updated as this article refers to
ver 207 on Fedors core 1.  I notice mine is 226.6.  Thus I will run the
Microsoft  Services for Unix 3.5 and the authconfig as per the article
and see what happens.  But the DHCP issue is not resolved.

Joe Guenther
Chinook's Edge School Div