[K12OSN] mac OS X and win2003 and LTSP integration

Joe Guenther jguenther at chinooksedge.ab.ca
Sat Aug 27 18:11:49 UTC 2005

Yes, the Mac OS X server is being replaced with Win2003 server with
Active Directory. ... because in the near future this school will be
joining the network of a neigbouring college, which will dictate the IT
direction and they use Active Directory that we will have to be an
"active" part of.  No it was not my recommendation, but we all know life
is full of choices being made for us - we just have the task of making
it all work.

Thanks for the excellent advice.  Seeing as the Mac DHCP server is
seemingly not easy to customize, maybe I can get the LTSP server to hand
the appropriate DHCP options to the Mac users as well. Yes the Mac also
runs Open Directory to which the macs all over the school authenticate
and get all their appropriate drive mounts..  I assumed as much that its
DHCP was also telling the Mac clients "hey the Open Directory lives
here..."  but you gave me good information to follow on how to get the
Linux DHCP server to also pass on that info.

and of course the other option would be to configure a vlan throughout
the Dell switches that are affected - later hoping that the older 3coms
at the other end of the building will also talk the same vlan language
when we go to expand the ltsp clients to more classrooms.

many thanks to the two of you.
Joe Guenther