[K12OSN] Good example of "concepts before specifics"

Ben Nickell twinprism at athena.physics.isu.edu
Wed Aug 31 18:59:57 UTC 2005

Steve Hargadon wrote:

>On 8/31/05, Terrell Prude' <microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:
>

>>Every year, he says, kids come to school with
>>less real knowledge of technology and its implications. So teachers have
>>a greater responsibility if they don't want to produce simple
>>"mouse-clicking monkeys".'

<snip>

>Linux and thin-client Linux have typically been considered
>only by schools that have hit a financial impasse and have been forced
>to search for an alternative; only then do they discover that it is
>often not just better for the school because of price, but also
>because of the end-result of its use."

Steve,

I liked the quote, and particularly this last bit.  I think your
arguments may hold a lot of weight with secondary schools, but I wonder
how to address the concerns of primary schools where often fundamentals
are considered more important than technology.

I think your arguments would resonate with some progressive school
boards, teachers, curriculum directors, and principals who are often
decision makers.

One other observation is that these decision-makers often feel
ill-prepared to understand and deal with technology themselves, so fear
of the unknown definitely plays a part.   Perhaps we can appeal to them
to give  the kids be better prepared to deal with the changing world
than they are.  a

Could you add me to the list to get the full article?

Thanks,
Ben Nickell