[K12OSN] DansGuardian and SG blacklists...how to randomize?

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Aug 3 03:13:08 UTC 2005

Ok...first the scenario....I use SME server 6.01 with the
dungog-dansguardian module to run DG on my schools network.  Prior to this
more recent version of DansGuardian...I was able to use Eric's squidguard
blacklists that he publicly exports via rsync to keep my blacklists
up-to-date.  Now, according to Stephen Noble (the guy who developed the
dungog module)....the lists from Eric won't work right because they are
not randomized in the way that DG requires....here is an excerpt from
URLblacklists.com that might help explain better

"When using the blacklist with DansGuardian the blacklist files are put in
a random order as DansGuardian sorts them when it reads them into memory.
The Quick Sort algorithm is very slow at sorting a sorted list hence why
we do this."

So....my question...any idea on how to randomize the blacklists from Eric?
 I'd be willing to do it and then host it or send it back to Eric for
hosting.  I just have no clue at this point how to do it....anyone?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org