[K12OSN] samba admin account problem

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Fri Aug 5 03:07:12 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, August 4, 2005 at 6:55 PM +0000 wrote:
>I know that this is going to seem quite simple, but for some reason this
>stumps me over and over.  When I am setting up samba as a PDC, I use the
>command "smbpasswd -a root" to use the root account as the account to
>allow windoze machines to join the domain.  I am using the create machine
>account script in smb.conf to auto add the machine account to samba.
>When I try the first one, I get the message that the username or password
>is invalid.  Can someone tell me what I am missing?
>

>Thanks so much,

Whoops!  Suddenly I realized that you're not using Samba/LDAP, but plain
'ol Samba...sorry....disregard my other post.  :-(  Been so long since I
did plain 'ol Samba...I've forgotten how.  One thing I remember is that
unless the pendulum has swung back the other way...you need to use the
"Administrator" account to join machines to the domain.  It used to be
root...then it became Administrator....we put it back to "root" in
smbldap, but it may still be Administrator in regular Samba.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org