[K12OSN] Need suggestions for poor man's load balancing....

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Aug 9 14:32:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 02:06, David Trask wrote:
> I have just bought another K12LTSP server....had
> the $$$...planning for the future and want to spread the load a little.  I
> read http://republico.estv.ipv.pt/~nmct/ltsp/ha/ltsp-ha-howto-en-gpl.html
> and while it's intriguing....I think I have to give up too much at this
> point to make it work.  One of which is no static addresses in DHCP....I
> need my static "reserved" addresses.

There's always brute force: make hardware-address entries for the
terminals you want to force to a specific server.  Or you could
probably go by vendor-tag if the numbers happen to work out for
you.   I've always thought it should "just work" to have each k12ltsp
server run its own dhcp server with non-overlapping ranges (this
is different from the backup dhcp server scenario).  I think the
current dhcp server defaults to being non-authoritative and won't
NAK requests out of its range, so whoever answers first should
win.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com