[K12OSN] Join a smbldap server with a linux machine

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Aug 9 16:24:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 16:43, Jesper Berth wrote:
> I am trying to make a login from a Fedora first just to learn how that
> is done using authconfig
>
> but i am in a doubt if i should use LDAP or WINBIND as userinformation
> and what kind of aproval i should use MD5, SHADOW, LDAP, KERBEROS, SMB
> or WINBIND

RedHat/Fedora use a pam_stack module that takes a list of other
settings so they only have to generate the system-auth list once.
Other distributions might use a different technique or repeat
all the entries for each service that uses pam.

Winbind would pull user info from a windows pdc or AD, Ldap from
your ldap server.  SMB does authentication only so you have to
create local accounts on machines using it but the password is
checked against a windows PDC.  The MD5 and SHADOW items have
to do with the local password file formats if you have local
accounts and local passwords on the machine.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com