[K12OSN] schooltool/schoolbell questions plus test

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 08:05:25 UTC 2005

On 8/10/05, John Baillie <jbaillie at stmarys-school.org> wrote:

> I have been having some problems with schoolbell on K12-EL. I got a
> quick response from their list and some suggestions but no joy.
> I'm going with http://webcalendar.sourceforge.net/ for the time being.

Noooooo!  Ah, well, I'm afraid our new release is crunching up against
the hard deadline of the beginning of the school year, so I understand
the concern.

Peter Hartmann wrote:

I've
>installed schooltool-0.11rc2.  However, it sounds like an updated
>schoolbell with school-specific utilities -might- be coming out before
>school starts.

SchoolTool = SchoolBell with school-specific utilities.

> Does anyone know it that's really going to happen?

Yes, in the sense that SchoolTool 0.11 final will come out next week.

> If
>we do actually use schooltool (as it is now) can we upgrade or migrate
>the data to the new schoolbell?

Yes.

> If it is coming out before Sept. is
>it worth waiting till the last minute?
>I do want to leave myself
>enough time to learn/teach it to people.

The final release of 0.11 will just have bug fixes over the current
version, so it won't be significantly different than the release
candidate.

>The command to start the
>schoolbell server is "python schooltool-server.py".  How to I set this
>to start in runlevel 3?   I can't chkconfig --add it the way I could
>with the schoolbell rpm.

Eric Harrison has been making RPM versions of the final releases, and
I assume he will do so for the final of 0.11 when it is done.  Then
you'll be able to set it to start on boot and do other daemony things.

--Tom