[K12OSN] LTSP takes 'Best of Show' award at Linux World

Jason Straw lists at misato.us
Wed Aug 10 16:39:25 UTC 2005

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

>On 8/9/05, Jim McQuillan <jam at mcquil.com> wrote:
>

>>At Linux World conference and Expo today (Aug 9th), we won the
>>"Best Of Show" award.  This is like the grand prize of Linux World, and
>>we're absolutely blown away by this honour.
>>

>Congradulations Jim, Eric and all involved!
>
>LTSP/K12LTSP is THE future of computing in Education. Slowly
>*everyone* will realize this. I suspect that the growth rate of the
>installed base is growing geometrically. By 2010 I predict LTSP will
>touch half the schools in the world.
>
>Remember we here in North America have more money than most of the
>world so I see it growing more quickly in developing nations. The tide
>will sweep back from the outside.
>Although in hindsight I don't feel cost savings is the number one
>reason for adoption, others may.
>
>This sure is an exciting time.

You would be very surprised at how little money North American schools
have for technology... (in one of the wealtiest counties in the US... it
wasn't irregular for them to have to compromise down to 15-20 computers
instead of the 25 they needed so they could get the licenses and
hardware they needed.

LTSP is good because it allows the schools to releverage the money they
already spent and to get more slower computers instead of a few powerful
ones.

Jason