[K12OSN] desktop.ini

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Aug 10 20:01:22 UTC 2005

If you run this as root:

find /home -name desktop.ini -ok rm {} \;

it will find all the desktop.ini files in /home, and then ask you if you want to delete
each one that it finds.  The first time through, answer 'no' so that you still have some
files to work with.  Assuming you it finds the files you want to delete, you can change
it to this:

find /home -name desktop.ini -exec rm {} \;

This will find the files and delete them without out asking you for confirmation.  If
that works as desired, put the command into a shell script:

echo "find /home -name desktop.ini -exec rm {} \;" >delete_desktop.ini_files

Then, edit your crontab file ('crontab -e') and schedule the delete_desktop.ini_files to
run once a day, say, at 2:05am, like so:

05 2 * * * /path/to/delete_desktop.ini_files

Good luck.

Petre