[K12OSN] Re: Help verify bug....Samba/LDAP users on 4.4

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Aug 11 21:25:45 UTC 2005

Latest findings:
You can get the newer version of nscd from fedora-updates-testing (I used
Yum Extender)...that seems to fix the nscd issue as far as the crashes are
concerned, but I found that shutting off nscd made the joining the domain
thing work better....so maybe nscd won't be needed.  I have it off for
now.  I updated it just in case, but then shut it off (not dead...but
off).  So...try those things and see how it works.  My understanding is
that nscd may not be necessary unless you have a large installation....I
only have 600 users, but only 30-40 logged on a once and even then...not
all at once (as in a burst)

"Jim Kronebusch" <jim at winonacotter.org> on Thu Aug 11 2005 at 12:32 +0000
wrote:
>> problems?  lot of difficulty joining the domain....I was able
>> to join right after reboot and I attribute that to nscd still
>> running.  LDAP can be a bit slow thus nscd helps in that
>> manner with caching.
>
>Thanks for the info Dave.  My setup is supposed to go live next week.
>Luckily OSX LDAP with NFS /home is my biggest worry here.  As long as
>that rocks my teachers and staff will be happy.  As far joining a domain
>and logging on to a domain, that is exactly what my intermittent
>problems have been.  Restarts temporarily fix it for me as well.  I
>actually thought about just converting all of my Windows machines to
>Linux to fix the problem :-)
>
>Keep me posted if you find a fix.  I'll resort to your cron for now as
>well.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School