[K12OSN] OpenOffice file type to default to MS file type

george kocke webmaster at vol.org
Fri Aug 12 13:17:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 20:48, Wilson Chan wrote:

> Im looking for a Global Setting or a script that I can use to change this
> for all users. If anyone knows what works for FC4's LTSP install let me know. Thanks!

Check out these scripts:

http://www.vol.org/vol/school/freesoftware/ltsp/

My solution was to create a user called "golden" and configure programs
such as OpenOffice, Mozilla, Acrobat Reader, etc. as that user.

When a normal user logs in, a login script checks to see if the config
directories for those programs exist in the user's home directory. If
they do not, the script copies them from the golden user's home
directory, changes ownership and replaces all instances of the username
"golden" with the user's username.

If I need to make a global change in OpenOffice, I do it as user golden
and then run a couple of other scripts that delete the .openoffice
config directory for all users. As long as nobody is using Openoffice or
whatever other program I'm reconfiguring, I change the settings for
everyone in a matter of seconds.

The above URL contains all of the scripts.

--
george kocke <webmaster at vol.org>
http://www.vol.org