[K12OSN] OT: Conferences in Midwest

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Aug 12 17:03:32 UTC 2005

When David Trask and Chuck Liebow, et al, organized their "Maine get-together of
K12LTSP-ers" last year (or was it two years ago now?),  Chris Bacigalupo from Duluth, MN
offered his city as an alternative site for the Maine conference, not entirely in jest.
I started keeping track of people on the list who seemed to be not-too-far from
Minneapolis, where I am, with the jealous hope of someday organizing something similar
(your name is on the list already, Scott).    I was hoping to get enough people to make
it worth Jim's and/or Eric's time to come out for it.  I only have about a dozen names
so far, and some of those haven't been heard from on the list for a while, so I don't
know how active they are.  (Chris, are you still on this list?)

There are two reasons for such a conference:

1.  It would be great fun, allowing some of us to meet face-to-face.  It would be
helpful to learn more about what others are doing with LTSP, and it would inspirational.
  This project works because of the community, and this would be a way to enhance that
community.

2.  I thought I would try to invite people from all the other schools in town, to
introduce them to LTSP, to show them a better way of providing computing services to
schools.  Show them how easy it is to install K12LTSP, how it makes better use of
resources, how it's easier to manage, perhaps cover the natural symbiosis between
education and OSS, etc.  I'd LOVE to show them all of Jim Kronebusch's various Macs all
running as thin clients!

The tricky part is that the above are two different audiences: the first would involve
people who already understand LTSP, while the second would be more of the uninitiated.
But I think they could both be accomodated if we had, say, two days, where the first
would be focused on topics that assume you already understand LTSP, and the second day
would be more introductory, or vice-versa.

Then there's the question of topics and format.  If Jim M. and/or Eric could come, they
could talk about what they're working on, e.g., MueKow; I'd like to hear more details
from Jim Kronebusch about getting the Macs to work.  What else?

For the second day, for people unfamiliar with LTSP, someone could talk about & demo
K12LTSP, perhaps do an installation.  CodeWeavers is based here in the Twin Cities, and
Jeremy White, the founder, is a friend of mine; I thought I might invite him to talk, to
show one way to support Windows apps on LTSP.  CW has a portable LTSP/WINE/CrossOver
setup they use for demos, showing off MS Word 'loading' in just a second or two on an
old Pentium 100.  While I want to keep the focus on the community, I think some schools
would like the idea that they could get commercial support for a K12LTSP installation,
so perhaps there could be some support vendors there, if there's interest.

I figured if I could get ten people to come for the first day, it would be worth doing
and would be enough people to draw Jim and/or Eric.   I think the Maine folks had about
20 (David, are your pictures from your conference still online?); Maine seems to have a
lot of people doing K12LTSP, lucky dogs; hopefully 'new recruits' from group #2 above
would increase our numbers in Minnesota.  I was thinking perhaps a Friday-Saturday, in
June after school is out; but I'm not a teacher so I figured I'd let those who are pick
the dates.  I thought I might try for this summer, but I just didn't have the time, so
I've been looking toward next summer.  In Minnesota, in October we have a two-day
(Th-Fr) teacher in-service holiday when there's no school, to allow teachers to attend
training, conferences, etc.  I've considered that weekend, but as it's a Minnesota thing
only, I was afraid none of the Iowa/Wisconsin/Michigan folks would be able to attend.

Any thoughts or interest in this?

Petre