[K12OSN] can't get terminal to runlevel 3

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Sat Aug 13 21:58:12 UTC 2005

I replaced my version 3.1.2 server with a 4.1.2 server.  The monitor on
one of my workstations can handle the frequencies the CPU box is using
because when it starts the X server, the screen just goes blank.
Plugging in a different monitor works.  So, I figured I'd set the
lts.conf file to run that workstation at runlevel 3 and manually start X
to try to debug the problem.  So, here's the relevant section of lts.conf:

[00:90:27:b6:b9:15]
        XSERVER            = auto
        RUNLEVEL           = 3

But when I reboot the client, it still loads X.  I tried setting a
hostname for the client in dhcpd.conf thusly:

 host art {
        hardware ethernet     00:90:27:b6:b9:15;
        fixed-address         172.26.18.6;
        filename              "/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp";
    }

and then set lts.conf to use [art] instead of the MAC address as its
identifier.  But that doesn't work either.  Is this different in 4.1.2?
Any idea why I can't get the client to stay at runlevel 3?

Petre