[K12OSN] Tossing around an idea...need some input

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Aug 14 03:37:11 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 22:16, David Trask wrote:
> Hey!  Check this out....this looks easy!  Note the statement about Static
> IP's at the bottom....we can use them...they simply have to be the same on
> both servers.  An easy way to do this would be to use the     include
> "filename" statement like Les mentioned....thus the included file could be
> the workstation declarations for static or reserved IP's.  Then you simply
> copy that file between the servers.  Right?
>
> Read and comment
>
> https://intern.kvarteret.no/wiki/index.php/DHCP-Failover-HOWTO

Note that you don't need the fail-over protocol unless you
want the to serve the same dynamic range and attempt to keep
the same addresses working for machines whose leases have
expired when the dhcp server goes down.  The protocol or
the server implementation of it, limits you to two servers
set up this way - and it doesn't do the right thing for
thin clients if their server is down anyway.  But, the
idea of having a common set of addresses in hardware-address
assignments should work with servers that don't have
overlapping dynamic ranges and don't need the fail-over
protocol configured.  You'll still get fail-over service
for client booting, just not specifically what the
dhcp fail-over is designed to provide.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com