[K12OSN] Volume error on login to 4.4.beta3 server

espen espen at hertervik.net
Tue Aug 16 11:54:04 UTC 2005

We have K12LTSP 4.4.beta3 on four servers, and all users get the annoying error that the
mixer applet cannot find a sound device:

I've run the no-volume-control-fix.sh script, with no luck:

[root at asjer k12linux]# ./no-volume-control-fix.sh
[root at asjer k12linux]# ls -ld /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/applets/mixer
d---------  2 root root 4096 aug  2 09:13
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/applets/mixer

..still the users get the error message: "No volume control elements and/or devices
found." upon login.

Note that we have done fresh installs of our terminal servers (no upgrade); but nothing
has been done with the user's home directories; (i.e. no "Reset Desktop" or anything)

Is there anything I can do to prevent this annoying message without reseting all (650+)
user's desktops?

--
Vennlig hilsen Espen Vorland