[K12OSN] "realPlayer 10 for Linux is here"

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Aug 17 14:00:32 UTC 2005

Short: Get the RealPlayer8 RPM file at
http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html?src=rprdxint,rcahome

and use that instead of RealPlayer10.  You'll have to remove the RealPlayer10 first, but
that's okay.  RP8 works with thin clients and handles NPR's streams just fine.

Long: Last night I downloaded the source files for RP10, but while there was a Makefile
within the tar file, there wasn't a configure, nor a README, nor could I find any
instructions on compiling it, let alone changing the configuration.  Frustrated, I just
googled for RealPlayer8 & linux and found the above link.  Pulled down the RPM file,
removed the RP10 package, installed the RP8 package, connected to NPR's site, and the
streaming newscasts, etc. all worked like a champ.  I didn't even have to make any
adjustments to RP to make it work, even though there are some notes on the K12LTSP wiki
about how to do so.

It may be worth noting that I have sound set to NASD in my lts.conf file, and I was
using IceWM on the client.

Petre