[K12OSN] frequent crashes how to debug

Sergio Chaves sergio at turbocorp.com
Tue Aug 23 10:13:12 UTC 2005

We had a similar problem here and ended up being a bad motherboard (thank
goodness for warranty :o) ).

Anyway, a few things that might help if you are like us and do not have the
latest and greatest gadgets to test your system :o(    :

First, you may want to check if the crashes happen everytime a "certain"
process (online backup?) or program runs/is started

Run the command dmesg, it will display a "sort of" summary of your log file,
after the system has restarted and check for things failing to load,
conflicts, etc.

Boot your system with a "live" CD (Knoppix, etc) right after the crash - some
systems are set to start a new log at every reboot -  and mount the /var
partition to look for kernel panic/memory error messages in the log/messages
file.

Boot the system with a system cd that has the memtest program (SuSe has it)
and test your RAM (long process). You can also download it here
http://www.memtest86.com/ .

For testing your processor and motherboard, you may want to put a heavy load
on it. For example: here we compile Gcc and Qt at the same time and watch for
swap usage, processor load, etc.

Good luck

Sergio

On Tue August 23 2005 03:13, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> I have frequent crashes using K12LTSP 4.2
>
> When the server crashes two lights on the keyboard flash and the server
> does nothing else. I have to manually turn off the server (ie hold on of
> button for 5 secs) then turn it on again. Where can I look to try to find
> out what is going wrong? Is there a log file I can look at?
>

> I am using an AMD 2500XP cpu, 2 GB RAM @333, SATA 120 HD on Microstar
> MS-KT6 Delta motherboard with GLAN.
>
> I am running up to 11 LTSP clients and 3 windows machines that authenticate
> to K12ltsp and have home directories there.
>

> We use firefox, Gcompris, Tuxpaint, open office, cross over office and
> Scribus in roughly that order of use.

    v                Sergio Chaves                     v
 /(_)\         www.turbocorp.com             /(_)\
  ^ ^    Enhanced Solutions Computing   ^ ^
                   Main  770.532.2239
                   Fax   770.531.7878
                   Linux User #221305