[K12OSN] Ubuntu thoughts...

richard ingalls aslansreturn at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 15:08:02 UTC 2005

I think I'm going to go for it with Ubuntu.  I LOVE
the idea of only needing ONE CD to install from!  Most
people in the US (especially schools) already have a
DSL or faster connection.  (Schools in the US can get
very fast internet connections for a very reasonable
price due to government money earmarked for this
purpose).  So, downloading the additional packages
from Ubuntu and other public mirrors strategically
located across the globe should be no problem.  As for
other nations... I can't say; I don't know.

I am excited about the upcoming edubuntu release in
October!  Can't wait to see how it works.  Until then,
I'm going to try ver. 5.04.  I just need server
applications mostly.  BUT, I want to impress my fellow
network administrator colleagues (who are all WINDOWS
geeks).  I think Ubuntu will do the trick.

As far as education goes, I'm thinking that you could
put all the "K12LTSP" related packages on a 2nd CD and
maybe keep the downloads on only TWO CDs!  (Instead of
Fedora's FIVE CDs!).  That would be great too.

Lastly, squidguard and dansguardian REALLY need to
work and work well (for the CIPA requirements).  In my
opinion this is reason enough to stay with Fedora (if
it won't work well in Ubuntu).  In Fedora, squidguard
JUST WORKS!  I love it!  8th grade boys hate it!  Ha
ha!  In Fedora I just add the proper repository for
yum and I can install dansguardian.  It just works!
These are the two KILLER APPS for me in FC3.  I pray
they'll work as well in Ubuntu.