[K12OSN] Ubuntu thoughts...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Aug 23 15:48:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 10:08, richard ingalls wrote:
> I think I'm going to go for it with Ubuntu.  I LOVE
> the idea of only needing ONE CD to install from!

You do know that you really only have to burn the first
CD or make a USB boot image for k12ltsp (fedora/RH/centos)
don't you?  If you download the iso images to an
NFS exported directory all you have to do is boot the
first CD with 'linux askmethod', pick NFS as the install
method, and point it to your NFS location.

> Lastly, squidguard and dansguardian REALLY need to
> work and work well (for the CIPA requirements).  In my
> opinion this is reason enough to stay with Fedora (if
> it won't work well in Ubuntu).  In Fedora, squidguard
> JUST WORKS!  I love it!

If someone is looking for a project, something that would
be a real killer combination would be to make the new SME
server (based on Centos4) work alongside k12ltsp for network
server functions (squid/email/web/ftp, etc) and to provide
home directories because it is so easy to install and manage.
The tricky part would be getting everything to use the
same network authentication method.

--
   Les Mikesell
     les at futuresource.com