[K12OSN] Doing the Pivot Root - befuddling

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue Aug 23 18:38:57 UTC 2005

I sure have found myself stumped over something recently.  We set up a
lab and used one of the TrendNet switches we like.  It has 24 10/100
ports and two gigabit ports.

When the server is uplinked to the switch through the gig port, the
clients hang at Doing the Pivot Root.

When the server is linked to a 10/100 port, the clients boot just fine.

This is consistent between two of the same model switches.  I have not
tried another onboard nic.  I'd like to blame this on hardware, but

What is Pivot Root and how can this step be manifesting itself so
strangely in my switches?

--scott