[K12OSN] Problems With SchoolBell

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 11:33:01 UTC 2005

On 8/24/05, Selzler, Bruce <SelzlerB at esuhsd.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a SchoolBell server running K12LTSP.  I can't seem
> to get the permissions straight.  If a user logs in and they can view
> and edit their own calendar they then do not have the ability to view or
> edit a Resource.  Alternatively, if a user logs in and can't view their
> own calendar, then they can view and add events to a resource.  I guess
> I'm missing something really important, but I can't figure out what it
> is.

Hey Bruce.

I that sounds like a bug that cropped up, not something you're doing,
so you should update.  I haven't directly pinged Eric about doing
.RPM's for the new release (we posted the tarballs on
http://schooltool.org last Wednesday), in part because he sounded so
weary in his post about getting 4.4.0 done :-)

Also, if you're a school, you should be using SchoolTool, rather than
SchoolBell.  It is basically the same thing but with support for
school timetables.  Even if you don't need that now, we don't
currently support migrating from SchoolBell to SchoolTool, so if in
doubt, use SchoolTool.  I guess because of that if you've already got
a lot of data in your SchoolBell, you should just use SchoolBell 1.2

> Also, how to you update?  Yum doesn't seem to do it.  Let me know what
> you think.

So... you can get the SchoolTool 0.11 or SchoolBell 1.2 tarball at
http://schooltool.org

Also, the bug you've got unfortunately isn't completely resolved in
that release, so you need to exchange a couple files.  We'll have a
bugfix release that incorporates the changes soon, but in the meantime
you can just download the
corrected file:
http://source.schooltool.org/svn/branches/schoolbell-1.2.x/src/schoolbell/app/configure.zcml

You should replace the file src/schoolbell/app/configure.zcml with the
one linked above.

And download: http://source.schooltool.org/svn/branches/schooltool-0.11.x/src/schooltool/configure.zcml

This one should go into src/schooltool/configure.zcml

Until Eric puts together .RPM's, you just untar this package, cd into
the directory and use 'python schooltool-server.py' (or
schoolbell-server) to start it up.  If you're starting fresh with
SchoolTool, that's pretty much it.  If you want to bring your old
SchoolTool data over to the new SchoolBell, it is in a file called
Data.fs, which I imagine is in /var/schoolbell/ or something like that
(I haven't spent much time with the RPM's).

Once the RPM's are done, you can just move the Data.fs back.  Also,
the drawback of running from the tarball is that the server doesn't
start automatically on boot, but it should be enough to get you
started.

In summary, release management in open source projects is a lot harder
than it looks!

--Tom