[K12OSN] Winbind & idmap

Joel Buchan jbuch7 at eq.edu.au
Thu Aug 25 07:13:10 UTC 2005

Hey,

Setting up a server that exports /home via NFS & samba with
authentication being done on W2K3 server by the way of winbind.
Everything is fine except one problem I am having with my K12LTSP
servers (that also authenticate using winbind) the UID's and GID's are
different between both.   After googling for an answer I found two
solutions:
1. Use idmap backend = idmap_rid in smb.conf
2. Use idmap backend = ldap also in smb.conf
Has anyone got either of these working?  I assumed that i'd have to
compile samba with the plugins, which I have done but still am unable to
get it to function.  It could be that I have not compiled and installed
samba correctly I followed this
http://us5.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/compiling.html
and added the option --with-shared-module=idmap_rid.  Then added idmap
backend = idmap_rid in samba restarted both samba and winbind and tried
getent passwd but it only lists local users, but if I comment out that
line restart samba & winbind and getent passwd I get a list with the
domain users.  One more thing if I do yum search samba is reports that
samba 3.0.14a is installed even after I have just compiled and I assumed
installed 3.0.20 is this right?  Can anyone offer any help at all I'd
love to have everything up and running including a second LTSP server by
Software Freedom Day.  (We are having a display and activities ect)