[K12OSN] Doing the Pivot Root - befuddling

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Aug 25 19:55:29 UTC 2005

On Thursday 25 August 2005 06:51 am, Huck wrote:
> I've been using the Amer.com switches for 2 yrs now without a problem...
>
> http://amer.com/catalogue/asr24g2.html
>
> that is the switch I use... the SR24G2...
> 24 ports of 10/100 and 2 ports of 10/100/1000
>
> works like a dream.
>
> --Huck
>
> Mark Gumprecht wrote:
> > Same here, I just put in two dell 2724 gig switches. Had the same issue.
> > I have a weak theory though, I think it has something to do with the
> > managed portion of the switch. I did a hard reset to one of the switches
> > and now it works. I tried to apply the same process to the other switch,
> > it still didn't work. Thanks for the tip on the amer.com gig switches, I
> > have A P.O. in hand to order some.... guess I'll re-think this one.
> > Mark
> >
> > aust_txv at access-k12.org wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> I just went through this issue with some amer.com gig switches and IBM
> >> x206 Intel gig ethernet cards.  Don't pull your hair out, find another
> >> switch. Amer.com support has not contacted me back yet about this issue.
> >> It is NOT your k12LTSP install.
> >> I wish I had and answer,
> >> Tom Ventresco

Thanks for the input and empathy.  It is exasperating but making more sense.
FWIW, several schools here have the amer.com switches in production, and they
are great.  Several schools here have trendnets, the 48 port model, and they
work great.  It seems to be a function of certain switches and the
negotiation between the gig port and the 10/100 bank.

>From what I gather, the hang occurs when NFS is trying to pass the kernel.  We
had a smart fellow, Tim, help us at this particular install, and he observed
with netstat and a few other utilities that the server had made the NFS
connection with the client.  Still smelling switch.

On hand we have another trendnet 24 port 10/100 with 2 gig uplinks, but the
model is slightly different than the similar but troublesome unit.  I will
check this variable to see if it is simply something in the engineering of
some less expensive managed, or shall we say mismanaged, switches.

--scott