[K12OSN] Booting macs

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Aug 26 04:30:37 UTC 2005

> If it is in fact an iMac (color other than beige) it will neboot.
> Even the original Bondi iMacs will netboot.
>
> I can't get mine to boot either, and I'm not sure why.  I installed

I am guessing that at 266mhz these are a fruity colored iMac.  The next
generation above a Bondi (maybe indigo, blueberry, flower power, etc).  These
should boot fine.  If all else fails be sure to check the ppc/lts.conf like
Shawn suggested for the right IP.  Then boot with cmd+option+o+f and hold them
until you get to a command prompt.  Then type the following at the prompt
"boot enet:192.168.0.254,yaboot" without the quotes of course and hit enter
(if you are not using the default IP also swap the 192 IP with yours).  Let us
know if it boots with this method.  I am guessing that if this is a fruity
iMac you may boot successfully until X goes to load then get a XF86Config
error.  There should be a custom XF86Config.Indigo sitting in the
/opt/ltsp/ppc/etc/ directory.  If needed I (or someone else) can get you
instructions on getting this to work.

If this method works we can also give you the commands to make this permanent.
 The boot enet only works for the current boot unless you write it to firmware.