[K12OSN] mac OS X and win2003 and LTSP integration

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Aug 27 16:46:44 UTC 2005

David Trask wrote:

>"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
>Saturday, August 27, 2005 at 2:10 AM +0000 wrote:
>

>>I had not thought of the separate vlan option to segregate the LTSP from
>>the rest of the LAN ... might be an option if the Mac OS X dhcp cannot
>>be configured to pass on the option root-path
>>

>Joe....Mac OS X simply needs to be "on" in order for the Mac auth stuff to
>work....it does not have to be doing anything or serving any IP's.  You
>can have it serving IP's off a NIC that's not connected to anything for
>example....I have a school that uses an E-Smith (SME server 6.01) box as
>the DHCP server yet the Macs (this is Maine...we have Mac laptops for
>every 7th and 8th grader in the state) authenticate and pull "profiles"
>etc via LDAP and OD from an Xserve running OS X server.  So you can have
>your cake and eat it too.

Unless I misread his original post, though, the OS X server soon won't
be there.  For some insanely stupid reason (yes, I'm being very
judgmental here), they're bringing in a Windows 2003 server "to replace
the Mac OS X server."  Of course, I hope that I did misread that, since
Windows servers don't speak industry-standard LDAP or Kerberos.

As for the VLAN bit, if your switches all speak either GVRP or VTP, then
you should be OK separating the LTSP stuff--and I mean both server
(eth0) and terminals--from the main LAN.  Then, eth1 on the server can
get hooked up to the main LAN.  The purpose of GVRP and VTP is to allow
propagation of VLAN settings throughout your LAN, thus you don't have to
reconfigure all your switches.  GVRP is the standards-based one, and VTP
is Cisco-proprietary (they licensed it to Avaya for high dollars, I think).

Another option is to have your router do the DHCP instead of a server.
Like you, I too have a single-NIC K12LTSP server with its DHCP server
turned off.  We have Cisco routers on our LANs, and they make terrific
DHCP servers.  I'm actually using the Cisco router's DHCP server to
netboot not just the terminals, but also the thick clients (Windows and
a few Macs).  You simply include the appropriate options in the DHCP
scope and boom, off it goes.

--TP