[K12OSN] upgrading k12ltsp

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Mon Aug 29 23:12:15 UTC 2005

Hi,

Has someone compiled instructions and/or best practices for upgrading
k12ltsp servers?  I took the precaution when I installed of putting
/home on a physically separate drive, but I don't know exactly how that
helps me no that  I'm getting the urge to jump from the FC2 based distro
I'm running now to whatever is current.  I'm afraid of wiping out
existing home directory stuff and some settings (I'm running a web
server on the same machine.)  Surely someone has a good algorythm for
what to do in what sequence to have a fairly fast and seamless upgrade
experience.   Surely I shouldn't have to rewrite httpd.conf, ltsp.conf,
hosts, etc.  Unless the new distro has new formats and features for all
that stuff.  Has someone written this up and/or wikified it somewhere?
(The Archive search is pretty useless to me, BTW)

I also have a related question.  What's the learning curve going to be
like when switching to the new Ubuntu scheme?  Is the desktop going to
look reasonably familiar, the directory structure the same, etc.  Or is
Ubuntu drastically different from Fedora?

Thanks,

ck