[K12OSN] hub vs. switch at eth0

Andrew Fisk andy at spitcomp.com
Tue Aug 30 00:54:02 UTC 2005

I would think that the auto sensing is a pretty good guess, although
I would look at duplex rather than speed -- if you can not configure
the switch then set the card to 10 / half, and then bump it up from
there -- you might find that as long as nothing has to "auto" sense
that you can run at any speed you like.  I discovered this problem
the hard way on Cisco 2950's with IBM's built in NICs-- which makes
me think that the cost of the hardware is not  a guarantee of problem
free networking.

Andy
Spitfire Computer Services
441 Beaver Street