[K12OSN] hub vs. switch at eth0

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Aug 30 03:58:01 UTC 2005

I agree with Ronald until you start talking about managed switches.  I
find that the managed Amer.com gear, specifically the SR48G2i, actually
gives me more functionality than the Cat 2950, with one critical
exception, and that's GVRP.  I really wish Amer.com would start fully
supporting GVRP in their managed switches (are you listening, Mark
Wilhelm?).  The SGR24, an unmanaged "dumb" Gig-E switch, is an
apples-n-oranges comparison to either the 2950 or SR48G2i.  It's
essentially a Netgear mini-switch with 24 Gig-E ports and a hella-fast
backplane.  That said, the SGR24's worked well for me in LTSP deployments.

I can certainly relate to Ronald's note about flashing the OS.  We're a
Cisco shop, and Cisco has become *infamous* at my place of work over the
last few years for releasing stuff that ain't quite ready--witness the
releases of Cat 3550 IOS before 12.1(19).  Due to the size of our
network, and that we really use a lot of the functionality of the gear,
we seem to flush out a ton of bugs.  Said bugs have caused us much, much
headache, especially on Cat 6500 MSFC's, and since any long-time network
engineers in the house know what 6500's are typically used for (yes,
we're *that* big), y'all can imagine how bad that can be.  I just today
ran into what looks like a timing issue with 4506 code; wasn't fun.

All that said, you can update the firmware on the managed Amer.com
switches, but their policy seems more one of "when new functionality or
an updated 802.3 standard comes out, we'll update" rather than "hey,
there's a security hole, let's release a software update."  That's a
little scary given that the Amer.com switches do support SSH.  If
they're using any version of OpenSSH that's, say, pre-3.7, then that
can, depending on how they're using that code, become a serious problem.

--TP