[K12OSN] Solving the bandwidth bottleneck

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Aug 30 12:42:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 02:45, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> > I don't have a working example set up to net-boot on multiple
> > subnets.   Mine look like this and are outside of any
> > share-subnet declaration (put your cursor on the { and hit
> > % in vi to find the matching brace):
> >
> > ---
> > #Subnet 10.201.4.0 is the New York office
> > subnet 10.201.4.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
> >   range 10.201.4.150 10.201.4.254;
> >   option routers 10.201.4.1;
> > }                                                                                                        #Subnet 10.201.6.0 is the Los Angles office Ethernet
> > subnet 10.201.6.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
> >   range 10.201.6.200 10.201.6.254;
> >   option routers 10.201.6.1;
> > }
> > ----
> >
> > Things inside a shared-subnet {..} are supposed on the same wire as
> > I recall, so you will have to repeat some of that stuff in the other
> > declarations to get the options for booting right.
> >

> This took care of establishing a functioning dhcp server on eth1.
> Thanks.  I still cannot boot clients from the second interface.
>
> The error is "No boot filename found."

As I mentioned, I don't net boot on those interfaces - that
was just an example for the syntax for other subnets.  To
boot, you need to supply the rest of the values you find
inside the other scope.  In particular you need
next-server, filename and  root-path options for booting.
I'm not sure if you can move that whole stack of
if/else/ logic to the global section of the file
or if you have to repeat it for each scope to handle
the PXE and ppc variations (which is why I didn't give
an example before). It might be best to repeat it and
change the addresses to the appropriate server interface
address for the subnet.  Anything within the {}' for
one subnet isn't done on the others.

--
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com