[K12OSN] schooltool daemon

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Aug 31 02:58:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Peter Hartmann wrote:

> Nope, same thing.

> On 8/30/05, Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Peter Hartmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Tom,
>>> Although I've only set schooltool to start with chkconfig, it "starts"
>>> schoolbell also. It says Starting schooltool [ok] Starting schoolbell
>> [ok].
>>> But they don't actually run. After boot is completed if I run /sbin
>> service
>>> schooltool start it doesn't complain that its already running but
>> starts. It
>>> doesn't release the terminal either.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Peter
>>
>> This is probably a problem with my initscripts, not schooltool.
>> I did four or five builds of the schooltool packages yesterday,
>> one of them had a typo in the initscript.
>>
>> So lets start with grabbing the latest package and restarting the service:
>>
>> rpm -Uhv
>> ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/schooltool-0.11.1-k12ltsp.4.4.1.i386.rpm
>> /sbin/service schooltool restart
>>

>> -Eric

Okay, let's do some basic debugging...

1) First, check the logs. Is there an obvious error in the logs?

         /var/log/schooltool/schooltool.log

2) Has something been changed? Run an RPM verify on the packages:

        # rpm -V schooltool-0.11.1-k12ltsp.4.4.1
        # rpm -V schoolbell-1.2.1-k12ltsp.4.4.1

    You should get an empty response from these commands.

3) Let's check to see if another copy of SchoolTool or SchoolBell is
    running:

         # ps auxw | egrep "school[tool|bell]"

    You should get an empty response from this command.
    Just to be sure you could always just try stopping both...

        # /sbin/service schooltool stop
        # /sbin/service schoolbell stop

4) Let's make sure that nothing else is listening on port 7080
    This assumes you have the command "fuser" installed, if not
    install the psmisc package (yum install psmisc)

        # fuser 7080/tcp

    Again you should get an empty response from this command.

5) Now that we're sure nothing is already bound to port 7080, let's
    start up schooltool by hand (this is a single long line, watch out
    for line wrap!)

        # su -s /bin/bash schooltool -c "/usr/bin/schooltool --config=/etc/schooltool/schooltool.conf"

    The output should look something like this:

            Reading configuration from /etc/schooltool/schooltool.conf
            2005-08-30 19:39:58,962 zope.server.http (HTTP) started.
                   Hostname: server.ltsp
                   Port: 7080
            Startup time: 4.438 sec real, 3.200 sec CPU

If any of the above commands gives you output that you did not
expect or otherwise looks suspicious, post it to the list...

-Eric