[K12OSN] schooltool daemon

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Aug 31 06:14:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Eric Harrison wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Peter Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Eric,
>> I should probably mention that I've been using the previous versions of
>> schooltool. I'm not sure if anything was really installed and I'm not sure
>> how to uninstall it. Could something from a previous version is interfering?
>
> Possibly. I tried upgrading and it worked fine for me.
>
> I'll install the old version, add some entries, and then upgrade just to be
> sure...

After a few rounds of downgrading/upgrading, I did manage to get
schooltool to blow up once. Unfortunatly I have not been able to
repeat the problem, so I'm not 100% sure of the cause.

My theory is that the way the package was built it could leave
behind compiled python bytecode (*.pyc files) during an upgrade.
Even if that happened, it is not supposed to be a problem. But
after I removed the *.pyc files, the problematic install of
schooltool worked just fine...  (now I wish I would have made
a copy first, so I could verify the problem...)

I built new packages that make sure that the *.pyc files are replaced.

It also shaves a full second off the schooltool/schoolbell startup time! ;-)

ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/schoolbell-1.2.1-k12ltsp.4.4.1a.i386.rpm
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/schooltool-0.11.1-k12ltsp.4.4.1a.i386.rpm

-Eric