[K12OSN] Kernel panic

Edward Holcroft edward at netday.org.za
Wed Aug 31 13:49:25 UTC 2005

Hi List

I get an error "kernel panic - not syncing" when trying to instal
K12LTSP.

Upon googling I came across this strange solution:

type "linux garbage" and hit enter

or

type "garbage" at the install prompt, hit enter twice and voila. Go
figure. But it worked (mostly using this second option). Until now,
that is.

Someone says it's to a common problem with Intel and certain other
specific motherboards, but I've never had this issue before, with all
the dozens of Intel MB's I've used in the past. Furthermore, I now
have two machines, with Intel MB's that will not buy the solution
mentioned above - they just keep giving a kernel panic. Perhaps I
should add that some machines installed fine under K12LTSP 4.2.1 but
needed the workaround under 4.4.0 These new motherboards that I got
today don't even want to install the old versions of K12LTSP right
back to 4.1.

Any ideas?

ed