[K12OSN] Switches

gKw-X gkw-x at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 2 05:04:58 UTC 2005

Well here's what I'm going to do... From amer.com:

SGD8 - 8 1000meg ports
2xSR24G2 - 2 1000meg ports, 24 100meg ports

So the server will go into the SGD8. Then a line will go out of that
into each of the two SR24G2 - one right in the lab and one in the
library. Then later on I can get a third SR24G2 for the LAC room, and
still have a few ports left on the SGD8 to go to classrooms, though I'm
not sure exactly how that will work.

Does that sound like a good idea? It's $430USD for that hardware. I'm a
little worried about whether it's the right thing for the school. Do you
guys think that switching to this setup will alleviate a huge amount of
the traffic problems they're having? I think the current setup is really
bad. The server puts out 1000megs but it goes right into a 100meg
port... Then all the clients come out of that, plus another line goes
from there to the library, and is further split to all the PCs in there.
I havn't seen it when students are in there but the teachers say it is
barely useable when they're all logged in, and some can't even boot up
while the network is in heavy use.