[K12OSN] OT - easy VPN setup with cipe gone

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Dec 5 21:41:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 15:21, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> Dear Folks,
> 	a question off the regular track: what do you suggest I should use
> for creating VPN tunnels, now that CIPE is no longer available for new K12
> software? I got spoiled with CIPE being first choice in "neat".

OpenVPN is the new way.  If you are using the FC4-base k12ltsp you
should be able to install via yum.  I've been too lazy to switch
myself and have held several machines back to FC1/Centos3 so their
CIPE tunnels still work.

> 	A connected question: is there an easy way to encrypt a GRE
> tunnel? It seems that creating them should be easy with ip command, I
> don't see the options for encryption.

I think you could push the GRE packets though an IPsec tunnel which
is a common approach on Cisco routers so you get normal interface
semantics (multicast, routing protocols, etc.) which you don't get
with IPsec alone.  I suspect Linux<->Cisco tunnels could be made
to interoperate that way but I've only done it with straight GRE.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com