[K12OSN] First set of K12LTSP 4.2.2EL 64 bit packages

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Dec 8 02:53:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Peter Hartmann wrote:

> AWESOME!  I think I'll try this on an imaged backup of the production
> server to test the water.   I'd just have to yum remove the existing
> k12ltsp-core k12ltsp-education k12ltsp-extras k12ltsp-utils right?

k12ltsp-core, k12ltsp-education, k12ltsp-extras, & k12ltsp-utils are
meta packages - they are empty but require a number of other packages.
(k12ltsp-core requires ltsp_i386, ltsp_ppc, ltsp_config, etc, etc)

The idea behind a meta package is that it is easier to remember
"yum install k12ltsp-core" than it is to remember "yum install
  ltsp_i386 ltsp_ppc ltsp_config etc etc".

So if you remove just the k12ltsp-core package, for example, you won't
remove any of the actual ltsp packages.

<don't try anything below this line on a production system you care about!>

If I were going to try this, this is what I would do (it may even work ;-)

First, remove the meta packages:

 	rpm -e  k12ltsp-core k12ltsp-education k12ltsp-extras k12ltsp-utils

I put all of the packages that I recompiled into a specific directory:

 	ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.2.2EL-64bit/RPMS/new/

I would remove any of the packages there that I wanted to replace:

 	rpm -e inkscape kdeedu qcad scribus   (etc, etc)

Your yum configuration is probably wrong, you can fix that by removing
the k12ltsp-release package and installing the latest one:

 	rpm -e k12ltsp-release
 	rpm -Uhv ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.2.2EL-64bit/RPMS/new/k12ltsp-release-4.2.2EL-0.noarch.rpm

Then I would reinstall the meta packages, which will pull in all of the
new 64 bit packages:

 	yum install k12ltsp-core k12ltsp-education k12ltsp-extras k12ltsp-utils

> And that shouldn't mess with my current childsplay installation right?

Don't remove your current childsplay package and you'll probably be ok.

Hopefully tonight I'll figure what I broke ;-)

> You rock Eric!

Now I just need to complete the roll part!

-Eric