[K12OSN] [Fwd: How to telecast streaming audio from our server]

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 16:58:51 UTC 2005

I just read up a bit on the ices and icecast
configuration.  Basically, ices takes an analog audio
stream or a playlist of pre-recorded files and
converts it to something that is stream-able.  Icecast
does the streaming and allows a certain number of
clients to connect.  Icecast can also act as a relay,
sending its output to other streaming servers.  So you
could stream from the broadcast room using a laptop
and a low-end internet connection, but firewall off
all clients except for your main server.  The main
server could then receive the broadcast from the
laptop, and re-stream it to the internet at large.

I can't really help much in configuring this, but it
seems from all the documentation I've read that it is
designed to handle this.

-Rob