[K12OSN] OT: Hardware Hacking: Share one UPS between two computers

Peter Hartmann ascensiontech at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 18:07:57 UTC 2005

I'm looking to share an APC UPS between to computers with USB in a DIY
fashion. Can't I just splice 2 A male connectors (leaving the 5v +
unconnected) with a female A connector? To be more specific I mean to
connect all the pin 2s to each other; all the pin 3s to each other;
all the pin 4's to each other and leave all the pin 1s unconnected.
I'm trying the UPS to signal the shutdown without networking because
one computer is in the dmz and the other is the LTSP server.

What do you think, will that work?

Thanks,
Peter