[K12OSN] Switches

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Dec 2 04:36:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 22:25, Jason Straw wrote:

> nope... 95%+ of generated traffic is upstream...

If the traffic all has to traverse a single link at
any point, you won't gain anything by distributing
it elsewhere.  Your problem must have been the half
duplex or worse, a mismatch between switches.

> The more connections generated, the worse the switches do.  You gain a
> lot of sanity by running a star, and you can _ensure Full Duplex_.

The duplex setting is negotiated separately between each pair
of connected ports.  I don't see how the overall topology
would affect that, other than a bad connection affecting
fewer end points.

--
  Les Mikesell
     les at futuresource.com