Re: [K12OSN] *CUPS Printing Error*

Paul VanGundy wrote:
All,

I am receiving an error on one of our Ubuntu 5.10 boxes. When a user
goes to System>Administration>Printing the following error occurs:

The CUPS server could not be contacted.

Upon receiving this error I executed the following command:

sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

It said that restarting cupsd was successful but when the user returned
to the Printing menu the same error popped up. I restarted the computer
and the error remains. Any ideas as to what could be the problem and how
to fix it? Thanks in advance!

-Paul

Paul,

Did you check the contents of /var/log/cups/error_log on both sides of
the connection?  I've often found that the issue is something relatively
simple like an outdated hosts entry, and such things are made very clear
in the logfiles.

Good hunting,
Mike