[K12OSN] Edubuntu on Slashdot

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun Dec 4 05:51:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Chris Thomas wrote:

> Here is the link
> http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/12/03/1759224.shtml?tid=146&tid=106
>

> I wonder if it includes LTSP like the regular Ubuntu.

Edubuntu uses all of the packages from Ubuntu (including the LTSP bits),
but with a few additional packages and a few changes to make it as
K12LTSP-ish as possible[1].

If I had to wager a guess, the next releases of Ubuntu and Edubuntu will
be almost identical and after that they will be one and the same.

The whole point of the "MueKow" LTSP concept is to make LTSP easy to
integrate easily into different distrbutions[2]:

 	http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/MueKow

In case you can't tell, I am REALLY PLEASED to see Ubuntu funding this work
that will make it easier to integrate LTSP into other distributions ;-)

-Eric

[1] my recent trips to Sydney and Montreal were for this puropse.

[2] Note that Mark Shuttleworth from Ubuntu has a big investment into K12LTSP
     in the form of the Shuttleworth Foundation's South African "Tux Labs".
     Do not worry about my joy of Ubuntu's support: the founder of Ubuntu
     also has a vested interest in our K12LTSP community. This is a very good
     thing for all of us.