Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP...My Opinion

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Paul VanGundy wrote:

Eric,

That's kind of my point. In high schools, when you get rid of the
kiddish packages it is in essence LTSP instead of K12LTSP. So why
install K12LTSP in high schools in the first place instead of just your
version of Linux (SuSE, Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc.) and the LTSP packages?
I'm not so much comparing distros, I am really asking if anyone uses
K12LTSP in high schools and if so why instead of LTSP? Ease of
installation possibly? Maybe I'm not explaining what I am trying to ask
very well.

It is best to think of K12LTSP as an "easy-to-install implementation" of
LTSP, with education-orientated apps and tweaks. I'm too beat to dig up
the links right now, but many times in the past I've argued quite loudly
that "K12LTSP is not a Linux distribution!"

If you prefer to use SuSE, Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc plus the LTSP packages
rather than K12LTSP, that is GREAT! K12LTSP tries really hard to support
as many needs as possible, and to make it as easy as possible to support
the needs we can not support ;-)

-Eric