Re: [K12OSN] Edubuntu on Slashdot

On 04 Dec 2005, at 7:51 AM, Eric Harrison wrote:

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Chris Thomas wrote:

Here is the link
http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/12/03/1759224.shtml? tid=146&tid=106

I wonder if it includes LTSP like the regular Ubuntu.

Edubuntu uses all of the packages from Ubuntu (including the LTSP bits),
but with a few additional packages and a few changes to make it as
K12LTSP-ish as possible[1].

You're too kind Eric. Right now the current release of Edubuntu offers nowhere near the ease of setup and additional functionality that you have built into K12LTSP. I found the release altogether disappointing, considering the hype around it. There is no earthly way I could expect rural newbie educators to actually get Edubuntu working as a thin client server in its current form. On the other hand, they can and do get K12LTSP up and running with ease.

cheers
ed