[K12OSN] Edubuntu on Slashdot

Edward Holcroft edward at netday.org.za
Sun Dec 4 10:18:41 UTC 2005

On 04 Dec 2005, at 7:51 AM, Eric Harrison wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Chris Thomas wrote:
>
>> Here is the link
>> http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/12/03/1759224.shtml?
>> tid=146&tid=106
>>

>> I wonder if it includes LTSP like the regular Ubuntu.
>
> Edubuntu uses all of the packages from Ubuntu (including the LTSP
> bits),
> but with a few additional packages and a few changes to make it as
> K12LTSP-ish as possible[1].

You're too kind Eric. Right now the current release of Edubuntu
offers nowhere near the ease of setup and additional functionality
that you have built into K12LTSP. I found the release altogether
disappointing, considering the hype around it. There is no earthly
way I could expect rural newbie educators to actually get Edubuntu
working as a thin client server in its current form. On the other
hand, they can and do get K12LTSP up and running with ease.

cheers
ed