[K12OSN] K12LTSP...My Opinion

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sun Dec 4 15:43:53 UTC 2005

So...you're not using IceWM?  That's the first mistake.  You really
should.  IceWM is MUCH faster and YOU set up the menus.  Did you attend my
session at the McAuliffe conference on K12LTSP?  I showed my own server
with IceWM running as the desktop mgr....with the menu that I configured.
Simple to do and thus in your case you can simply leave out the games you
don't want to show.  Remember...Ubuntu (which Rocks by the
way)....K12LTSP....or for that matter...LTSP on any distro can be made to
look and act like any other distro from an end users standpoint.
But...seriously....if you want speed and configurability....use IceWM

I have posted my presentations from the McAuliffe conference online....if
you download the K12LTSP one....my screenshots are on slides 41 &
42....now remember, I have a K-8 school so it looks elementary, but it
does show how one can simply make their own menus (the whole menu on slide
42 was made by me...and it's EASY).  I've also included my Ubuntu slide
show.  BTW you can also use SMEG to configure your Gnome menus.  I use
icecc or icemc to do my IceWM menus (which are simply a text file anyway
located in /usr/share/icewm)...both icecc and icemc are GUI's that come
with K12LTSP and also can be installed on others.

Slide shows are here:

http://www.vcsvikings.org/presentations/

download either the OpenOffice version or the PowerPoint version