[K12OSN] K12LTSP...My Opinion

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sun Dec 4 15:59:28 UTC 2005

vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us on Sun Dec  4 2005 at 01:14 +0000 wrote:
>PS - And the difference is one is rpm based (Fedora) and the other is
>deb based (Ubuntu). One has smaller repositories (Fedora/yum) than the
>other (Ubuntu/apt-get) :) hehe

Ummm....Trust me Eric knows how Ubuntu works....we were roomies in
Montreal and he runs Ubuntu on his laptop which happens to be an HP zv5000
(just like mine)  ;-)   We all love and use Ubuntu, but seriously...for
right now....K12LTSP is the more mature product.  All you need to do is
edit your menus so the "kiddish" programs don't show up...that's all.  No
need to uninstall....simply don't show them.  In fact, if you do your own
menus you can get rid of all the "system stuff" that the kids don't need
to know is there.  check the wiki for how to make IceWM the default....or
email me and I'll run you through it.  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community Sc
dtrask at vcsvikings.org