[K12OSN] crazy licensing question

Stevn Bartley stevn.bartley at ints.com
Mon Dec 5 15:06:36 UTC 2005

Brad,

I do this all the time.  My interpretation of the licensing allows for
the following configuration:

You need to have a licensed Windows 200[0-3] Server.

You need one Server CAL for each client that will be connecting to the
server.

You need one Terminal Server CAL for each client that will be connecting
to the server.  MS Licensing is now such that you buy these in packs of 5.

The easiest method of management is to setup the Windows server
licensing in Per User mode instead of Per Device.  This way, you
eliminate the issues around expired licenses and falling short of
quantity.  The MS licensing states that it is your complete
responsibility to manage your license counts if you license in this
mode.  That is because the license server has no way of assigning a key
to the user like it can to the device.

If it is a 2000 Server, RDP will work fine as long as you set the color
depth of the connection to 256.  2003 allows for 16, 24 or 32bit but
2000 was limited to 256.

Hope that helps.

STEVN BARTLEY
Internal Systems Manager