Re: [K12OSN] crazy licensing question

Brad,

I do this all the time. My interpretation of the licensing allows for the following configuration:

You need to have a licensed Windows 200[0-3] Server.

You need one Server CAL for each client that will be connecting to the server.

You need one Terminal Server CAL for each client that will be connecting to the server. MS Licensing is now such that you buy these in packs of 5.

The easiest method of management is to setup the Windows server licensing in Per User mode instead of Per Device. This way, you eliminate the issues around expired licenses and falling short of quantity. The MS licensing states that it is your complete responsibility to manage your license counts if you license in this mode. That is because the license server has no way of assigning a key to the user like it can to the device.

If it is a 2000 Server, RDP will work fine as long as you set the color depth of the connection to 256. 2003 allows for 16, 24 or 32bit but 2000 was limited to 256.

Hope that helps.

STEVN BARTLEY
Internal Systems Manager
INTEGRATED SERVICES, INC.
Phone: 503-968-8100 Ext. 242
Fax: 503-968-9100
stevn bartley ints com
www.ints.com

Brad Johnson wrote:
Greetings fellow LTSPer's,

I've got a question for which I cannot seem to find the answer. Here's the scenario:

Want to connect my LTSP clients to either a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 terminal server. I want to purchase the licenses to make this all legal, but I cannot seem to understand how/where the license file gets saved on my LTSP server. Is anyone successfully and legally doing this? Thanks for any help.