Re: [K12OSN] Kernel Panic

Eric Harrison wrote:
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

This often means one of two things: 1) your /etc/dhcpd.conf file
was modified or the more likely 2) you have a rogue DHCP server.

This is why I never use 192.168.0.0/16 for anything - pretty much all consumer-grade NAT boxes use that subnet, and people sometimes try to multiply a port by plugging them into the network (with chaotic results extending beyond the LTSP boxes) via a LAN port, and they dutifully begin serving DHCP to the first 254 clients that ask.

If your network is addressed with 10.0.0.0/8 or some variant, then I'd suggest 172.16.0.0/16 for your LTSP DHCP config (unless of course you need several hundred thousand internal IP addresses for LTSP, in which case maybe you could lend me a couple dollars?), and of course, if you're using 172 for your regular LAN, then use 10 for LTSP.

The advantage to doing this is that it's a lot easier to debug stuff like martian devices on the network or a broken config somewhere.

Cheers,
Mike