[K12OSN] OT: Just when you think you're the first to have a good idea

Mike Ely mely at rogueriver.k12.or.us
Tue Dec 6 04:00:04 UTC 2005

You know how it is.  Here I was, smug in the knowledge that the project
I took on when my milk crate server (
http://www.flickr.com/photos/taupehat/sets/567684/ ) finally decided to
give up any notion of writing intelligible data to the hard drive, that
this project would also be just as unique.

So I scratched my head, obtained the requisite equipment, annoyed the
neighbors with the sound of a dremel for an hour or so, and produced
Cylon, my home server:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/taupehat/sets/1079266/

So it was with some surprise that I found a link right on the K12LTSP
site that pointed to what I thought was going to be my server, and
instead found that I'd been badly beaten to the punch:
http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us/linux/toaster/

Touche.

My machine is working wonderfully as an NFS, WWW, MySQL, and CUPS
server, currently at 35 days uptime, with the last outage occurring only
to install an extra (200G) hard drive and put a UPS in front of it.
Unfortunately, newegg no longer stocks that motherboard/CPU combo,
because for $55 with included VANM, it would have made an excellent base
system for thin clients!

Cheers,
Mike