[K12OSN] SME remote access using IE

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Dec 6 17:22:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 11:00, Larry McPherson wrote:
> I would like to configure my SME box so that I can use IE or Firefox for the
> server-manager, from a remote location - outside the local network.
>
> This question is not directly related to K12LTSP - but I was hoping someone
> can point me to a how-to.

First be sure your admin password is not a dictionary word, then enable
ssh access on the external port through server-manager.

>From outside use:
ssh -L980:localhost:980  your_server
 log in as root with the admin password
point your browser at http://localhost:980

In the ssh window you can also use 'su - admin' to pop into the console
menu and exiting from there will drop you back to the root prompt.
You can also use putty on windows to set up the ssh tunnel
by going to the tunnel dialog and using 980 local, localhost:980
as the remote side before connecting.

You can also enable VPN connections and use a PPTP VPN from a
windows box outside but the ssh tunnel takes less setup and
works from anything.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com